Re: Lintian Warnings

Quoting Joachim Breitner (2014-11-30 14:31:11)
> Am Samstag, den 29.11.2014, 09:27 +0100 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
>>> I didn't open an itp bug for network-conduit-tls so I'm assuming
>>> this is not extremely important. Just curious as I would like to fix
>>> what I can.
>>
>> If you create a new package without doing the recommended(!)
>> announcing it through filing an ITP bug about it, then yes, you can
>> simply ignore that warning.
>
> for Haskell libraries, ITP bugs are not really recommended. There is
> little risk of duplicated work, and it would be mostly noise on
> d-devel IMHO. OTOH, if people like to file these bugs, they are
> welcome to.

Sorry - I was unaware of such articulated policy for this team.

If simply a personal opinion of yours, then I can add that some consider
it irrelevant generally to file ITP bugreports.

Personally I find it relevant to file ITP bugreports for any and all
packages, also Perl packages which I guess are similarly "irrelevant" to
report about as Haskell libraries.  I find that doing so signals
activity and invites comments earliest possible - before involving
ftpmaster.  Duplicated work is IMO ont the only reason for ITP bugs -
also comments on e.g. how package descriptions are phrased and whether
it might make sense to mention related similar functionality available
elsewhere in Debian, or perhaps point out a risk of potential licensing
clash.  In short, I find that ITP bugreports is a great way for a single
package to "touch base" with the general Debian development community.

 - Jonas