Re: [Pkg-haskell-commits] darcs: haskell-monad-journal: Initial Check-In

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 29.10.2014, 23:28 +0100 schrieb Daniel Gröber:
> From: Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: [Pkg-haskell-commits] darcs: haskell-monad-journal:
> Initial Check-In
> Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 22:45:48 +0100
>
> > These are missing the upper bounds in the build dependencies. A
> > Cabal
> > dependency of "== 0.3.*" turns into
> >
> >   , libghc-transformers-dev (>= 0.3)
> >   , libghc-transformers-dev (<< 0.4)
>
> done
>
> I'm wondering though, why do the dependencies need version bounds at
> all doesn't the package plan take care of that?

the package plan is just a planning tool, and not authorative for the
Debian archive in any way. So assume we upgrade transformers to 0.4, and
then try to binNMU monad-journal: Nothing will prevent the buildds from
attempting to build the package and cause a build failure which will be
manually investigated.

Also, our packages might be used downstream, e.g. by Ubuntu. Many
reasons to keep our metadata as precise as possible.