Re: packaging xcffib

> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in packaging a library I wrote (xcffib) for Debian. The
> library itself is actually a python library, but it is generated from
> xcb-proto via a haskell program. That haskell program depends on
> (among other things) haskell's language-python and xcb-types, neither
> of which happen to be in the debian repos at this moment.
>
> I assume that I can't have a debian rules file which grabs things off
> of hackage, which means I need to package both of these for my binary
> to be buildable. I noticed on the ML a while ago that someone
> mentioned they might be willing to package language-python; has anyone
> looked into it? Or, is anyone willing to help someone totally new to
> debian packaging do the packaging for it?

Greetings,

Judging from our darcs repository and the haskell-package-plan, I don't
think that anyone started packaging those libraries.
Packaging haskell libraries is, thanks to haskell-devscripts, very easy.
It's roughly this workflow:

 - Grab our tools collection from
   http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-haskell/tools.git/ (most easily
   with git).

 - Copy the directory template-debian to your upstream package,
   renaming it to "debian".

 - Fill in the gaps (like package name and Uploader), greping for "foo"
   and "John" should be fine to check if you've got all of them.

 - Correct the copyright file: Since both packages you mentioned are
   licensed under the BSD-3-clause, it should be sufficient to copy the
   copyright file from another haskell package and replace the parts
   that are different (assuming that you license the work you do for
   the packaging under the BSD-3-clause too).

 - Fill in the Build-Dependencies: Look at the upstream cabal file to
   figure out all the Build-Dependencies. Add the to the field
   "Build-Depends" in the control file, adding the right version
   constraints.
   The corresponding -prof packages are needed in the
   Build-Dependencies too!
   Also don't forget to add the corresponding -doc packages to the
   "Build-Depends-Indep" field.
   You can check if you've got all the needed Build-Dependencies, by
   using a package like pbuilder (I'm sure you can find a good guide
   about that).

 - Update the Standards-Version field: The conrol file contains a field
   "Standards-Version", it's value should be "3.9.5".

If one of the steps wasn't clear, you can look at some other haskell
packages. If something is still unclear, you can still ask back.

If you're really planning to package haskell libraries, you should
consider joining the Haskell Group. We have a lot of infrastructure to
find compatibility problems before upgrading packages and other useful
tools. It's also much easier to find a sponsor to upload your packages.

I hope I could help you.

Regards
Sven