Re: GUI Toolkit

Hi,
I already looked into into it. And for my current application its indeed ok. But I was also thinking of an application where the gui changes very dynamically, in particular triggered by network events. And in this case the only idea I could come up with was to generate the qml files dynamically and reload them quite often. Still this approach seemd very strange to me.
Yours Dirk
On 2014-11-22 11:41, Gard Spreemann wrote:
On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 11:00:34AM +0100, Dirk Hünniger wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for a GUI Toolkit for Haskell, I would like to
distribute my application on Debian and also publish it as a
portable application on windows (that means it just runs as soon as
you extracted the zip file into a folder and double click the exe).
Currently I have my application written in Haskell and use Python 3
and QT 4 for the GUI and do the interfacing via the command line.
This works quite well and fulfills the above requirements. Still I
would prefer to do everything in Haskell only. I found that a
Haskell gtk interface packaged with Debian. But as far as I could
find out it is extremely difficult to write a portable application
for windows with gtk. I didn't find bindings for QT in Debian.
Hi,

While not really a Haskell binding to Qt per se, HsQML [1,2] does offer a nice
compromise until the time when such a thing is available. With HsQML, you write
the GUI in QML [3] (a declarative language which is, from what I can tell, the
preferred way of writing Qt applications these days anyway) but the application
is Haskell-driven.

It has some unpolished edges still, but I think it's worth considering, at
least until someone comes up with a Qt-backed FRP GUI system (this seems a
long way off).

(I have HsQML packaged at [4], but I've only tested it with Ubuntu).

-- Gard

[1] https://hackage.haskell.org/package/hsqml
[2] http://www.gekkou.co.uk/software/hsqml/
[3] http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qmlapplications.html