Re: Adding ghcjs support to haskell-devscripts

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

* Allow building of documentation when when package has no Haskell modules

* Fix a bash bug in the dev library install recipe

* Remove cases for binary debs in the ghc package - haskell-devscripts is not a build dependency of ghc
While the package is not a build-dependency (which would induce too many
build dependency cycles), we _do_ use ./dh_haskell_provides in GHC,
after copying it there. So this code needs to stay.

Ok

* Remove support for obsolete doc package prefix "haskell-"

* Pass --package-db to the cabal configure command
✓, but why?

This has so far been necessary for building ghcjs libraries.

* Pass --with-haddock and --with-ghc to cabal haddock
again ✓, but why? What does this change?

This is also required by ghcjs - it has its own ghcjs-pkg and haddock-ghcjs executables.

* Add functions to Dh_Haskell.sh to parse library package names, compute
  compiler names and compiler dependent paths
You use “ghc -e” which requires GHCi which is not available on all
architectures, so this is not good.
The proper way to do it is to parse the output of "ghc --info".
I’m pulling it for now.

I will try to make this change.

* Move the make recipes from hlibrary.mk to Dh_Haskell.sh
Nice cleanup
* Add a postinst script to the ghcjs dev library to run recache
Shouldn’t this be handled by a dpkg trigger in your ghcjs package?
Not pulling.

Yes, I would appreciate some guidance on how to do this.

It looks like not pulling
 * Remove cases for binary debs in the ghc package - haskell-devscripts
   is not a build dependency of ghc
prevents me from pulling these patches:
 * Large patch to parameterize the name of the haskell compiler in order
   to support ghcjs
 * Add duplicates of the libghc rules modified to build libghcjs
   packages
 * Remove set -x directives in hlibrary.mk
 * Add improved debugging code (disabled)
 * Supply default compiler to packages_hc call in dh_haskell_blurbs.
I’m afraid that this means that the patches I did pull left me with
something broken.

Not sure how we should proceed from here. Do you want to integrate my
review until I’m satisfied with the overall result, which I then can
pull in one go?

Yes, I will create revised patches.  Is it too late for you to unpull?

I see that os() and cpu() are only used when building ghcjs packages.
But still, reading that data from ghc --info is saner. Or maybe even
from dpkg-architecture.