Re: packaging xcffib

Hi Joachim,

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:03:28PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Am Donnerstag, den 14.08.2014, 16:24 -0500 schrieb Tycho Andersen:
> > I don't use Glob or text-format-simple
> > for much, so I was planning on re-writing xcffib to not require those two
> > libraries to make less work for me/whoever does the packaging.
>
> That’d be very great!
>
> > If you (or someone in the group) can package these libraries, that would be
> > very much appreciated. However, I realize time is limited, so I'm willing to
> > help/give it a try myself if nobody can.
>
> Give us a ping once a new version of xcffib without these dependencies
> has been uploaded to hackage.

I've uploaded a new version of xcffib to hackage that doesn't depend
on Glob or text-format-simple. That said, it won't currently cabal
install because the release of xcb-types on hackage is out of date.
I've asked the maintainer for a release [1], though.

Also, I'm not entirely sure it is useful to package the xcffib binary
itself. Or rather, it may be useful, but then xcffibgen and xcffib
will need to be upgraded in lock step, so it probably makes sense to
have one package. xcffib is a python library for interacting with X
through xcb, which is generated from the xcb xml files. So the output
of xcffibgen is really what users are interested in. So, I'm happy to
package xcffib itself since it is a little weird, but if you guys
could package the dependencies that would be awesome :)

Thanks,

Tycho

[1]: https://github.com/aslatter/xcb-types/issues/3