Re: Patches for armhf and armel (ghc 7.8* series)?

Hi Joachim,

Il Martedì 6 Maggio 2014 23:49, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> ha scritto:

Dear Gianfranco,

>Am Dienstag, den 06.05.2014, 14:38 +0100 schrieb Gianfranco Costamagna:
>> I remember a while ago in some discussion you pointed out that without
>> people working on arm* platforms the next upload on unstable will
>> likely drop arm support because of build failures...
>>
>> I tried to google a little bit, and *seems* that we can have two
>> patches (one from Colin), that *might* bring arm back to experimental
>> and ghc 7.8.
>>
>> I don't know why they haven't been merged (the patch from colin has
>> been included into 7.8.20140411-1 but according to buildd [1] it never
>> got a chance to build yet).
>>
>> The other patch should fix armel and upstream seems to have a
>> milestone for the fix [2], 7.8.3 version
>>
>> Do you think is worth an upload and a try?
>> Would be nice to have arm still supported on debian and derivates
>>
>> [1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=ghc&arch=armhf
>> [2] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/8976
>
>I mostly lack overview of the various issues and tickets, but I’m happy
>to apply any relevant patches. Would you be willing to take care of
>that, i.e. figure out what exactly to do? I’ll then apply any patches
>you want me to apply :-)

I don't really know, I use haskell in some packages I comaintain and I don't want to see it disappear :)

So, I tried to read as most as I can the website, but I didn't understand deeply what is the problem
https://gist.github.com/bgamari/9399430
this script seems to make haskell build correctly on armel
and looking at this bug

seems that this commit
https://github.com/ghc/ghc/commit/abb86adf7f749b3d44887d28bc96b43c5a1e0631

introduced the bug. Is it possible to try to revert it? maybe it will build.

Bootstrapping for arm I don't think is a good solution, since the next upload will likely fail for the same reason...

cheers!

Gianfranco