Re: GHC arm64 porting

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 05.04.2014, 09:03 +0100 schrieb Colin Watson:
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 05:35:57PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> > I notice as a result that our darcs GHC repository is at 7.8, though,
> > and my understanding of darcs is that a 7.6 maintenance branch (e.g.
> > for arm64 porting) would need to be pushed to a different directory,
> > maybe just s/ghc/ghc-7.6/.  Do you have any preferences?
>
> I was ready to upload 7.6.3-9, but I couldn't work out how to get at
> something in darcs I could commit to; 7.6.3-8 seems to be tagged but I
> don't know darcs well enough to figure out how or whether I can add
> commits just from that point.  I've attached the debdiff.  I'm happy to
> break that down and commit it myself if somebody tells me how, or it's
> simple enough that somebody who knows how could just commit and tag it
> directly.

You can do it interactively. Keep running
$ darcs obliterate
and say "yes" to everything but "tagged 7.6.3-8". You need to iterate
that, darcs seems to stop asking after tags (dunno why), until it only
offers you that patch. Then you have reached that tag.

Alternatively
$ darcs get ~/debian/pkg-haskell/repos/ghc --tag 7.6.3-8

Then you can work as usual. You will, however, have to merge again
before pushing, which requires manual conflict resolution in
debian/changelog.

If this sounds too annoying to learn let me know and I’ll do it.

We could also start having separate repositories (= branches, in Darcs)
on alioth for unstable and experimental, as we used to have. At least
for ghc; I don’t expect much parallel development for the libraries.