Survey of current installability problems

Hi,

the jenkins job is red since an embarrassing long time, so it is time to
see what the loose ends are.

These packages are currently uninstallable in sid on amd64, suppressing
-prof packages, sorted by cause:

haskell-platform : Depends: libghc-case-insensitive-dev (< 1.0.0.1+) but 1.1.0.2-1 is to be installed
 ↑ This simply needs a version bump of case-insensitive in the platform
   package. Will do right after this mail. But isn’t it our policy to
   not update platform packages (unless there are specific hard
   reasons?)

 libghc-adjunctions-dev
 ↑ Upstream plans to merge adjunctions with representable-functors, but doesn’t get around to do it.
   https://github.com/ekmett/adjunctions/issues/3
 libghc-universe-dev
 ↑ Needs representable-functors, so waits on upstream solving https://github.com/ekmett/adjunctions/issues/3
   See https://github.com/dmwit/universe/issues/10
 libghc-representable-tries-dev
 ↑ Waits for adjunctions to be become installable. Not clear if it will
   work with new versions.
 libghc-algebra-dev
 ↑ Waits for representable-tries.

 libghc-aeson-lens-dev : Depends: libghc-aeson-dev-0.6.1.0-a4d42 but it is not installable
                         Depends: libghc-lens-dev-3.9.0.2-f2bb6 but it is not installable
                         Depends: libghc-unordered-containers-dev-0.2.3.0-c7952 but it is not installable
 ↑ Test suite somewhat broken. Competetive package lens-aeson available by ekmett. This package ought to be
   removed from unstable, I believe.
   https://github.com/tanakh/aeson-lens/issues/10

 libghc-categories-dev
 ↑ Not sure why this was not upgraded, just uploaded.

 libghc-gitit-dev :  Depends: libghc-pandoc-types-dev-1.10-3ac1b but it is not installable
 ↑ Pandoc is not installable, but when pandoc is updated to 1.12, there
   is no version of gitit supporting it yet. Very unsatisfactory. :-(

 libghc-tasty-hunit-dev
 libghc-tasty-quickcheck-dev
 ↑ Waiting on tasty to pass NEW.

 libghc-web-routes-boomerang-dev
 ↑ FTBFS, https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=haskell-web-routes-boomerang&arch=amd64&ver=0.27.0-1%2Bb3&stamp=1387131066
   Who cares about this and can investigate?

 libghc-xmonad-contrib-dev
 ↑ Waits on pandoc, via xmonad.
 libghc-xmonad-dev
 ↑ Waits on pandoc.
 libghc-taffybar-dev
 ↑ Waits on pandoc, via xmonad.
 libghc-yesod-markdown-dev
 ↑ Waits on pandoc
 libghc-hakyll-dev
 ↑ We need to package a new upstream version, to support the latest
   cryptohash, but that in turn requires pandoc 1.12. So waiting on
   pandoc
 libghc-pandoc-dev : Depends: libghc-pandoc-types-dev-1.10-3ac1b but it is not installable
 ↑ Needs a new upload, and due to the uncoordinated pandoc-types upload,
   this needs pandoc 1.12. See http://bugs.debian.org/724636

In summary, I see
 8 distinct problems, of which

 2 were solvable right away,
 1 waits for upstream (representable-functors),
 1 waits for packaging (pandoc),
 1 waits for NEW (tasty),
 1 needs a package removal (aeson-lens),
 1 needs debugging (web-routes-boomerang) and
 1 has no solution yet, and may require patching (gitit)

I wish we would be a bit more careful and protect our users in unstable
from these problems, until they are solved, and then upload likely
working sets in one go.