Re: What's the preferred way to record a patch for a version in "testing" ?

On 03/22/2013 10:33 AM, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> are these bugs release critical? If not, the release team is not likely
> to grant a freeze exception. Maybe you should talk to them too.

The package is in extra, so I don't think any bugs in it would block the
release. These bugs are certainly critical to the proper operation of
the package itself.

I've asked for 2-3 freeze exemptions for bugfix uploads of other Haskell
libraries, and the release team has been quite accommodating. I believe
that if the new version is approved to go into "unstable", getting a
freeze exemption from there shouldn't be problematic.

> You should get the repo for 0.3.8-2 (e.g. with
>         darcs get -t 0.3.8-2 darcs.nomeata.de:/darcs/pkg-haskell/haskell-system-fileio
> ), work from there as usual (i.e. add and tag 0.3.8-3). Then you pull
> that repo into the usual one. This will add the patches and cause
> conflicts in debian/control. Remove the patches (as you don’t want them
> in the experimental branch) and clean up debian/changelog (I suggest to
> keep 0.3.8-3 right above 0.3.8-2 and the remaining experimental change
> above that), commit this conflict resolution and push to the central
> repo.
>
> This is precisely what I did with, e.g. haskell-yesod-auth-1.0.2.1-2

Sounds good, thank you! I've pushed appropriate changes to the Darcs
repository.

I don't have direct upload permission, so the new version is in upload
limbo at http://mentors.debian.net/package/haskell-system-fileio . If it
doesn't get accepted, I'll find a way to back out my Darcs commits.