Re: Upload impact test cabal file

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:35:08PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Possibly. But I see thrhee problems:
>
>      1. The all-packages.cabal file needs to carry the Cabal name (e.g.
>         IfElse), which is not present in the Packages files. I have
>         often wondered if it would make sense to include the package id
>         (IfElse-1.2.3) in some custom header in the Package file.

I'd be all for having an X-Hackage-Identifier or similar :-)

>      2. It would be good to communicate the intended state. For example,
>         I have some uploads pending (yedos, hakyll) that are waiting for
>         binNMUs and NEW processing (nats). I would not want someone
>         making (i.e. planning) a change that would then conflict with my
>         intended update.

Mmm I see

>      3. Some package should not be included in all-packages.cabal, e.g.
>         because we patched their metadata (c2hs), or they are not on
>         Hackage (frown) or simply because the package is broken
>         (darcs-monitor, authenticate-oauth, Agda, hakyll, Hipmunk,
>         hledger-vty, hledger-web, leksah, ltk, yesod-auth-oauth,
>         yesod-markdown, rss2irc, WashNGo). Where should an
>         auto-generating tool get this information from.

If we extended the control data then that, otherwise, you have a good point.

> But a tool that would warn about newer versions in the archive or our
> Darcs repos than in the all-packages.cabal file, or packages missing in
> the altter, would definitely be handy.

Yes.

> >   Certainly I'd not like it if every hackage related upload
> > resulted in a cabal-install update.  It'd really annoy the users for a start.
>
> I don’t understand. The all-packages.cabal file is not included in any
> Debian package and never meant to be installed. It is just a
> convenient(?) interface to Cabal’s dependency checker.

I misunderstood and thought it'd be installed into /usr/share or similar.  Just
in the darcs repo makes more sense although it makes it a bit of a pain for
anyone not in the haskell packaging group to upload anything haskellish.

I am honestly thinking that X-Haskell-* or similar proposed as a prefix
(perhaps only in the Source stanza of the control file) would be best.  Not
least then cabal-debian could check that vs. the hackagedb and warn if you're
out of date / no longer available.

Still, this is all wibblings from someone who hasn't yet fully grokked what the
team has in place, so feel free to ignore me entirely :-)

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                         http://www.digital-scurf.org/
PGP mail accepted and encouraged.            Key Id: 3CCE BABE 206C 3B69