Re: Upload impact test cabal file

Hi and welcome on the list

Am Montag, den 11.02.2013, 09:22 +0000 schrieb Daniel Silverstone:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 09:52:41PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > My remaining worry is how to keep the file up to date. If everyone pays
> > attention to it when upgrading libraries or adding package and does it
> > manually, no problem. But I fear that this will not happen, so we should
> > have a tool that compares the file with the archive and our repos and
> > tells us about discrepancies. Any suggestions (or working code) here?
>
> Could this file not be created programmatically from either Packages or Sources
> files?  If so then there'd be no need to manually update it, one could create
> the file for "now" then manually tweak it for what you're about to upload and
> then use it to test.

Possibly. But I see thrhee problems:

     1. The all-packages.cabal file needs to carry the Cabal name (e.g.
        IfElse), which is not present in the Packages files. I have
        often wondered if it would make sense to include the package id
        (IfElse-1.2.3) in some custom header in the Package file.
     2. It would be good to communicate the intended state. For example,
        I have some uploads pending (yedos, hakyll) that are waiting for
        binNMUs and NEW processing (nats). I would not want someone
        making (i.e. planning) a change that would then conflict with my
        intended update.
     3. Some package should not be included in all-packages.cabal, e.g.
        because we patched their metadata (c2hs), or they are not on
        Hackage (frown) or simply because the package is broken
        (darcs-monitor, authenticate-oauth, Agda, hakyll, Hipmunk,
        hledger-vty, hledger-web, leksah, ltk, yesod-auth-oauth,
        yesod-markdown, rss2irc, WashNGo). Where should an
        auto-generating tool get this information from.

But a tool that would warn about newer versions in the archive or our
Darcs repos than in the all-packages.cabal file, or packages missing in
the altter, would definitely be handy.

>   Certainly I'd not like it if every hackage related upload
> resulted in a cabal-install update.  It'd really annoy the users for a start.

I don’t understand. The all-packages.cabal file is not included in any
Debian package and never meant to be installed. It is just a
convenient(?) interface to Cabal’s dependency checker.