Re: Packaging non-library Haskell

Hi Stephen,

Am Sonntag, den 15.04.2012, 03:12 +0000 schrieb Clint Adams:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 07:11:48PM -0500, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
> > 3) What is the policy on library packages that also have binaries?
> > 	Currently the haskell-devscripts ignore any such binaries, but isn't it
> > normal to have a lib-*-bin package for those cases?  Should that be
> > supported?
>
> Here is an example of what I do in that case:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/darcs/pkg-haskell/haskell-hledger/rules
>
> The binary packages are hledger and libghc-hledger-{dev,doc,prof}

there are more examples, with varying levels of sensibility. hledger
(which access debian/tmp-inst-ghc) is a pretty good example.

The real solution is to beef up hlibrary.mk to automatically do that;
see http://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2012/03/msg00047.html for a
sketch of a specificatoin. Stephen, if you are interested in doing that
(which would answer your question 2), that would be great!

About your other questions: Yes, we are interested in non-library
packaging, as we do it already (darcs, hlint, threadscope). Yes, if you
can improve hlibrary.mk, that would be great. And the policy is: If the
binary is only interesting to developers using the library in question,
then put it in libghc-foo-dev. Otherwise (e.g. darcs, hlint), put it in
a package of its own.

You should not have to run dh_haskell_{provides,depends,shlibdeps} for
packages containing binaries only, as Haskell libraries are always
linked statically.

Oh, and I’m not sure if I like lib-*-bin; for a program called "foo" we
generaly just use "foo" for the package name.