Re: Experimental and dependencies/uploads

On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 06:11:20PM +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 04.11.2012, 17:38 +0100 schrieb Iustin Pop:
> > Answering to myself: at least hinotify fails on ghc 7.6, due to the same
> > problem I'm trying to upgrade to 7.6: removal of catch from Prelude :)
> >
> > I'll patch it and upload.
>
> don’t patch; upgrade, as upstream already fixed it:
> http://hdiff.luite.com/cgit/hinotify/commit/?id=1e15b1ae98469093b7709ff4b4c7d4c0318f33b2

I've seen that, and I've already filled an issue for it
(https://github.com/kolmodin/hinotify/issues/3). That patch changes the
behaviour from catching only I/O errors to catching _all_ exceptions
(via SomeException), including ThreadKilled and UserInterrupt, because
the user who contributed the patch misunderstood the actual rationale
between the move from Prelude.catch to Control.Exception.catch. (Even
the old "catch all I/O errors" behaviour seems a bit strange…)

My patch against the current version handles only I/O errors, keeping
the behaviour unchanged; I was thinking of uploading the current version
with a patch until I clarify the above with upstream.

What do you think?

In any case, I have a local version with which to test my code against
ghc 7.6, so I'm in no hurry…

iustin