Re: Nikki and the Robots – where is it stuck?

Hi Paul, hi all!

On 08/13/2012 05:37 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> Run the test suite at build time (not sure how yet).

You should be able to run our testsuite by doing the following:

cd src/rootInstall
bash ./compileQtBindings.sh
cd ../testsuite
cabal configure
cabal build
./dist/build/testsuite/testsuite

In older versions you would need QuickCheckStore, which you have to get
here:

https://patch-tag.com/r/shahn/QuickCheckStore/home

, but I just committed a patch, that gets rid of this rather unneeded
dependency.

> Some warnings:
>
> cd src/rootInstall && ./dist/setup configure --prefix=/usr
> --bindir=/usr/games --datasubdir=nikki
> Configuring nikki-0.5.1.2...
> Warning: 'data-dir: ../../data' is a relative path outside of the source tree.
> This will not work when generating a tarball with 'sdist'.
> Warning: 'hs-source-dirs: ../' is a relative path outside of the source tree.
> This will not work when generating a tarball with 'sdist'.
> Warning: 'extra-lib-dirs: ../cpp/dist' is a relative path outside of the
> source tree. This will not work when generating a tarball with 'sdist'.

We are not planning to create a tarball with "cabal sdist", we use
"darcs dist". Cabal expects the .cabal-file to be in the top level
directory, but we can't put it there, because we use multiple cabal
files (one for our binary deployment (in src/), one for the debian
deployment (in src/rootInstall/), one for the testsuite (in
src/testsuite), etc.). So this is a wontfix from our perspective.

> ../Graphics/Qt.hs:23:1:
>     Warning: In the use of `isEmptyChan'
>              (imported from Control.Concurrent, but defined in
> Control.Concurrent.Chan):
>              Deprecated: "if you need this operation, use
> Control.Concurrent.STM.TChan instead.  See
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4154 for details"

I tried using TChan instead and it makes the code less readable.
'isEmptyChan' is deprecated because it isn't threadsafe, but we only use
it from one thread, so this also won't be fixed. (If you have no
objections, that is.)

> ../Base/Pixmap.hs:37:28:
>     Warning: In the use of `unsafeForeignPtrToPtr'
>              (imported from Foreign.ForeignPtr):
>              Deprecated: "Use
> Foreign.ForeignPtr.Unsafe.unsafeForeignPtrToPtr instead; This function
> will be removed in the next release"

We could easily switch to
'Foreign.ForeignPtr.Unsafe.unsafeForeignPtrToPtr', but that would break
compatibility with older ghc-versions (as young as 7.2, IIRC).

> /tmp/buildd/nikki-0.5.1.2/src/cpp/qtwrapper.cpp:122:129: warning:
> 'force_align_arg_pointer' attribute ignored [-Wattributes]

The force_align_arg_pointer attribute is a workaround for a Qt bug on
windows (the microsoft OS). So ignoring this on Linux isn't a problem.
We could get rid of this warning by conditional compilation. Is that wanted?

> [/tmp/buildd/nikki-0.5.1.2/src/cpp/qtwrapper.cpp:48]: (error) Memory
> leak: argcPtr

How do you generate that warning?

> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if
> debian/nikki/usr/games/nikki was not linked against libz.so.1 (it uses
> none of the library's symbols)
> dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: package could avoid a useless dependency if
> debian/nikki/usr/games/nikki was not linked against libutil.so.1 (it
> uses none of the library's symbols)

dpkg-shlipdeps seems to need a debian/control file. So I cannot
reproduce this.

We do have an interest in fixing this warning (and the one above). Some
help in reproducing them on our end would be appreciated.

> I: nikki source: unused-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright foo
> license (paragraph at line 6)
> I: nikki: spelling-error-in-binary usr/games/nikki unkown unknown
> W: nikki: hardening-no-relro usr/games/nikki
> W: nikki: hardening-no-fortify-functions usr/games/nikki
> P: nikki: no-upstream-changelog
> W: nikki: new-package-should-close-itp-bug
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/music/8bit Tidbit 2.ogg.license
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/music/It Is_0.ogg.license
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/music/LET YOUR HORSE RUN
> FOREVER.ogg.license
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/sounds/game/consoletext.wav.license
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/sounds/game/failure.wav.license
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/sounds/game/jump.wav.license
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/sounds/game/robot_off.wav.license
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/sounds/game/robot_on2.wav.license
> W: nikki: extra-license-file usr/share/nikki/sounds/game/success.wav.license
> I: nikki: arch-dep-package-has-big-usr-share 16296kB 49%
> W: nikki: binary-without-manpage usr/games/nikki

I don't need to understand these, right?

I will be on a hiking trip, so I won't be able to answer in the coming
ten days.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Sönke

(I'm not on the debian mailing lists, please CC me!)