Re: Haskell Plans for wheezy

Dear Release-Team,

here is a little follow up on the haskell-pre-freeze-work.

Am Sonntag, den 13.05.2012, 22:45 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> A new version of the Haskell Platform (2012.4.0.0) is coming up in the
> next few days, the first to include the latest version of the compiler,
> 7.4.1, which we already have in Debian. Hence, or main goal is to get
> this combination into wheezy. The platform includes version bumps of
> Haskell packages relatively low in the dependency tree (transformers and
> mtl). Then changes are small, but a number of packages will have to be
> upgraded to newer upstream versions which declare the updated
> mtl/transformer packages as supported. A small number of packages do not
> yet have an official release supporting that, I have pinged the
> maintainers today and we will, lacking a proper release to use, patch
> the packages in question. I hope that upgrading the packages to version
> supporting the latest mtl version will not cause new problems to creep
> in.

we have prepared everything for the new mtl/transformers in the last two
weeks and yesterday, I have uploaded the new mtl/transformers. I’m
currently in the process of managing the rebuilds. The platform has not
officially release, but a -rc2 package is in place that I don’t expect
to differ from the released version besides the version number.

Now it is time to get stuff in a transitional shape, i.e. we will
(hopefully) not upload new versions without discussions before, so that
in 10 days, when things have aged and all arches have caught up
rebuilding stuff, the whole bunch can move to testing.

> There is a chance that a new minor release of the compiler, GHC 7.4.2,
> will be released in time. We’ll look at the changes and see if we want
> them. Using that will require rebuilding lots of packages, but otherwise
> I would expect a problem from this minor release. It would allow us to
> release with less stuff in debian/patches, though.

GHC 7.4.2 has had a release candidate and will be released soon. But I
plan to not consider uploading it to Debian before we get the current
bunch of versions into testing. Afterwards, if there is time and the
changes are worthwhile, we can discuss this again.