Re: Platform features (was Re: Pandoc build status?)

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 28.03.2012, 23:40 +0200 schrieb Iustin Pop:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:25:57PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 28.03.2012, 21:32 +0200 schrieb Iustin Pop:
> > > Since I need pandoc to go from markdown to man page, does this mean I
> > > would be better served with storing the built man page in the debian/
> > > directory and VCS, and installing it directly (instead of building it
> > > from markdown at build time)? One less build dependency, but one more
> > > manual step. Hmmm…
> >
> > yes, I think it is reasonable. Preferably add a rule to debian/rules so
> > that "make -f debian/rules debian/blubb.man" will build the man page so
> > that it is documented how exactly to build the manpage.
>
> One more general question on this topic, and then I'll be quiet :)
>
> I've learned that cabal-file-th is not available on all platforms, so I
> patched my package to hardcode the version and not depend on it.

You don’t need cabal-file-th for the version, Cabal already can provide
you with that field in the module Path_<cabalfile>, have a look in
dist/build/autogen/Paths_*

> I've
> also seen that the threaded runtime is no available everywhere, so again
> I'm thinking about custom build rules.
>
> Is there a wiki page that explains something like "what are non-portable
> dependencies"? I've tried searching the mailing list archives, and while
> I did find some stuff, it doesn't seem to be a well defined list.
>
> E.g. I would like to see:
>
> - TH not supported on arches A, B, C & how to detect at build time
> - threaded not supported on all arches, & how to detect at build time
>
> Looking through darcs.debian.org/darcs/*/rules seems to pick up a few
> common patterns (for threaded at least). Can I go and modify the
> template (with commented examples) based on those?
>
> PS: a bit surprised at the fact that platforms vary so much in
> capabilities.

No concerted list is available, unfortunately. Note that for
TH-dependencies, most package just build-depend on ghc-ghci and stop
building on the unsupported arches; this is the easy way out :-)