Platform features (was Re: Pandoc build status?)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:25:57PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 28.03.2012, 21:32 +0200 schrieb Iustin Pop:
> > Since I need pandoc to go from markdown to man page, does this mean I
> > would be better served with storing the built man page in the debian/
> > directory and VCS, and installing it directly (instead of building it
> > from markdown at build time)? One less build dependency, but one more
> > manual step. Hmmm…
>
> yes, I think it is reasonable. Preferably add a rule to debian/rules so
> that "make -f debian/rules debian/blubb.man" will build the man page so
> that it is documented how exactly to build the manpage.

One more general question on this topic, and then I'll be quiet :)

I've learned that cabal-file-th is not available on all platforms, so I
patched my package to hardcode the version and not depend on it. I've
also seen that the threaded runtime is no available everywhere, so again
I'm thinking about custom build rules.

Is there a wiki page that explains something like "what are non-portable
dependencies"? I've tried searching the mailing list archives, and while
I did find some stuff, it doesn't seem to be a well defined list.

E.g. I would like to see:

- TH not supported on arches A, B, C & how to detect at build time
- threaded not supported on all arches, & how to detect at build time

Looking through darcs.debian.org/darcs/*/rules seems to pick up a few
common patterns (for threaded at least). Can I go and modify the
template (with commented examples) based on those?

PS: a bit surprised at the fact that platforms vary so much in
capabilities.

thanks,
iustin