Re: Feasibility of backports?

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 21.03.2012, 17:01 +0100 schrieb Iustin Pop:
> > ok, leaf packages are less of an issue. I kinda dislike to single out
> > packages instead of treating all of them consistently.
>
> I understand, and I agree with that. The question is if we have the
> manpower to maintain backports of all packages as a whole, instead of
> cherry-picking what's needed. Over the life of squeeze, I would guess we
> probably need just (random guess) 20% of the packages backported.

That’d be 80 packages, that is quite a lot.

> > But this is Debian: If you want to invest the work, you can decide how
> > to do it. So you are welcome to proceed that way and I won’t hold it
> > against you :-)
>
> Heh :) I'm just trying to understand what is the simplest way to get N
> packages backported, where N is a small number.
>
> A policy/technical question now: let's say we have backports for one
> package (either just one or out of many). With git-buildpackage, I'd
> just use a bpo-squeeze branch, which would be trivial to setup. How does
> this work with darcs? I'm reading http://wiki.darcs.net/BestPractices
> and it seems to say it doesn't support _any_ kind of multiple branches
> in one repository?

No, in Darcs, a repository is a branch (in a way similar to SVN, where
branches are directories in the virtual SVN tree). So what I did for
expeirmental is to clone the repo and put it
in /darcs/pkg-haskell/experimental – you can do the same
with /darcs/pkg-haskell/squeeze-backports.

No support from PET in that case, though.