Re: Pandoc LuaTeX-flavor PDF output fails with fontspec << 2.0

+++ Jonas Smedegaard [Mar 11 12 19:02 ]:
> On 12-03-11 at 10:34am, John MacFarlane wrote:
> > +++ Jonas Smedegaard [Mar 11 12 14:13 ]:

> > > Seems you are right, John - apparently fontspec supports LuaTeX only
> > > since TeXLive 2010:
> > > latex-alive.tumblr.com/post/643148677/fontspec-for-luatex
> > >
> > > Anyone have a suggestion how to improve the TeX template to require
> > > fontspec 2.0 when used with LuaTex, and else do some sort of fallback?
> >
> > Why is debian so far behind on TeXLive?  That seems the obvious place
> > to improve matters.
>
> I guess because TeXLive is huge, and Debian here - as is sometimes the
> case - does more than simply shrinkwrap upstream releases.
>
> Apparently there was quite recently a first release of TeXLive 2011 to
> experimental: http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/texlive-base.html
>
> Changelog entry for the packaging release is quite terse, yet telling:
>
>   * new upstream, too many changes
>

> I would apprecieate if Pandoc could somehow gracefully deal with TeXLive
> 2009, as I would love for the package to be backportable to current
> stable Debian (and other distros as well), and also to not need to
> strictly rely on TeXLive 2011 packaging maturing in time for the freeze
> of upcoming stable Debian distro release.

One option would be to patch the template and just remove the
two fontspec-related lines under \ifluatex.  With these removed,
lualatex will still be able to produce files; you'll just have less
control over fonts, and lots of unicode characters will just disappear.

But I'm not sure this option is better than just letting an error occur
and providing an explanation somewhere in the Debian notes.  (I'll bet
most people who use pandoc with lualatex will be installing more recent
versions of lualatex themselves, not using the debian package.)

I'll ask some ConTeXt experts how to do fonts with lualatex prior
to fontspec.

John