Re: Heading for unstable

Hi.

On 18/03/2011 05:04, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Also, should we move to unstable with a regular upload, where the ghc
> packages are built by the buildd’s against ghc6, or by somehow copying
> existing ghc-7 binaries to unstable and _then_ doing a sourceful upload?
> Previously I thought the latter might be easier, but I think our package
> actually builds find against ghc6, so I guess we can go with the former.

How would these two hypotheses relate with the libgmp3-related issue? In
unstable we still have libgmp3-dev, but early or late libgmp10-dev will
enter sid and we'll have to do again the Provides trick. I'm not fully
aware of the implications this will have: other than asking GMP
maintainers to keep the Provides against libgmp3-dev (or adding it again
when we'll need to do the bootstrap with the new dependencies), I think
this will require a rebuild of all Haskell packages. Am I correct?

Moreover, how do you practically implement your second alternative? And
wouldn't it cause problems because of the GMP version disparity?

Personally, I find the first option more clean and I would prefer it,
but I'm not sure I'm not missing anything in my evaluation.

Thanks, Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
Pisa, Italy