Re: Packaging hoogle

Dear Kiwamu,

Am Mittwoch, den 28.12.2011, 20:03 +0900 schrieb Kiwamu Okabe:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
> >>     There are a bunch of copy right issues about this data, mainly that
> >>     if currently doesn't have copyright, other than that it was extracted
> >>     from code that is licensed BSD3 or LGPL or MIT etc etc.
> >
> > Given that it does not contain code, but rather is a database, for which
> > different copyright laws apply, I hope (and expect) that this is not a
> > problem.
>
> I think it's a big problem.
> How about "hoogle" package don't contain database,
> and we don't provide "hoogle-data" package also.
>
> It's good solution for me, that "hoogle" package automatically execute
> "hoogle data".
> If the command got error, user manually run "update-hoogle" command.
> The "update-hoogle" command is equivalent to "hoogle data" command.
>
> If hoogle's database is located at /var/lib/hoogle/xxxx,
> the database can be update by user own.

of course, a hoogle package without hoogle-data is better than no
hoogle-package.

I presume that the "update-hoogle"-command is a script that you will
provide?

And am I right that when you say “the "hoogle" package automatically
executes”, that you mean the post-inst script? In that case, make sure
that the installation does not abort if there is no network
connectivity.

If you put the database in /var/lib/hoogle, it will only be updateable
by the root user. Which should be ok, I guess.