Re: Group maintenance vs. individual maintainership

Hi,

Am Montag, den 19.09.2011, 18:02 +0000 schrieb Clint Adams:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 07:12:28PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I noticed that you upload some, but not all yesod packages with yourself
> > as the maintainer and some with the group, and I’m wondering what the
> > criteria is?
>
> That's just me habitually using the wrong header.
>
> hakyll, monad-loops, pool, pwstore-fast, shakespeare-css,
> shakespeare-js, wai-app-static should definitely be considered
> as maintained by the group.
>
> Also I would be fine with hledger, hledger-chart, hledger-interest,
> hledger-vty, hledger-web, yesod, lambdabot, and rss2irc being
> group-maintained, though all of those are or include programs.

I’d definitely suggest that you put them in our darcs repository space,
so that they appear on
http://pkg-haskell.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/pet.cgi and that they
benefit from possible mass-changes.

I guess now that even ghc is group maintained, my reluctance to put
applications under group maintenance is kind of obsolete, so if you
prefer, you can put the group in the maintainer field. Of course, there
is still a moral obligation by the initial uploader to care especially
for these packages, and feel addressed when a bug is filed.

Do you have a blog? If so, why don’t you blog about putting yesod in
Debian. It certainly is something we can show off with a bit. (Although
I’m curious whether we are actually affected by
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5289 (fixed upstream for 7.4,
which will be released in due time) and
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5386 (actually
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5435, currently not fixed).)