Re: GHC on arches other that x86 and x86_64 (was Re: quickcheck and ghci)

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 03:11:32PM +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> GHC is becoming quite problematic for platforms other than x86
> and x86_64. The GHC git HEAD recently stopped working on
> PowerPC [0] and possibly others. Unregistered builds (required by
> all arches without a native code generator ie Sparc, MIPS, Arm
> etc) is currently broken in git HEAD [1].

I assume it'll work fine if you don't pass it the -fasm flag. Otherwise,
we'll need more info, e.g. what command you're running and what you're
compiling.

Assuming the -fasm flag is the problem, it'll be fixed by the next
release, anyway.

> It seems that GHC HQ has little interest and no manpower to keep
> GHC working on a bunch of arches that Debian cares about.
>
> I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to get to the
> bottom of GHC bug #5111

We have little interest in registerised builds, yes; I'd recommend
Debian sticks with unregisterised builds for everything but x86 and
amd64.

Thanks
Ian