Re: Long term goal: Multiple cabal packages per source package

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 19.04.2011, 06:27 -0300 schrieb Marco Túlio Gontijo e
Silva:
> Excerpts from Erik de Castro Lopo's message of Ter Abr 19 05:17:59 -0300 2011:
> (...)
> > I currently have a script and some Makefile foo that allows me to specify
> > a hackage library and version and it will build a package. Obviously
> > the package is not good enough to go straight into Debian, but it does
> > a large chunk of the grunt work (although it doesn't figure out dependencies
> > yet). I've been thinking of extending and improving this to make it a
> > real debian tool for managing packages on Debian.
>
> Well, there is the debian package[0].  I'm working[1] on it and on a tool to
> generate a debian package for the whole hackage archive[2].  It currently is
> kind of working, but there are some packages which can't be built, and the
> exception for them must be manually included.  The code is very experimental,
> but if you want to try.
>
> I even created an alioth project for hosting the built packages.  The initial
> version builds the whole hackage hackage archive.  My goal is to have another
> version that checks for hackage updates and try to build them as they're
> uploaded.

great to hear about your progress, this will be a great help in pushing
Debian as the best platform to do Haskell development on...

Nevertheless I don’t expected that these packages would be allowed into
the main archive, nor that they could replace having packages in the
main archive, so a multi-cabal-source-package might nevertheless be
required eventually.