Re: Some packages fail to build on amd64 with newer binutils (affects ghc6 and ghc)

Hiya,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:57:05AM +0200, Giovanni Mascellani wrote:
Hi.

On 21/03/2011 11:21, Iain Lane wrote:
I came across a problem when uploading some rebuilds for Natty and
discovered that it affects Debian too.

I haven't had time to narrow down the testcase or determine how many
packages are affected yet.

Some packages fail to build with the following error. I think it's
related to a newer binutils, as I found a similar OCaml bug[0] ([1]
might be one to watch too).

  /tmp/ghc3974_0/ghc3974_0.s:12674:0:
     Error: .size expression does not evaluate to a constant

The build log attached is using ghc6. Maybe we should wait for all the
libraries to be compiled with GHC 7 and then try to understand if the
bug survived the compiler major version change (hoping it won't).

It did, but I reported it upstream[0] and it was fixed (by making -fvia-c
a noop).

If you encounter this in the meantime (before we get a newer ghc
version) then you can work around it by not using -fvia-c.

Or we could backport the fix. But I suggest we just get it naturally
from upstream.

Thanks,
Iain

[0] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/5050