Re: Upcoming GHC 7 release and package names with ghc6 in them

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 02.10.2010, 13:43 +0300 schrieb Kari Pahula:
> As you may be aware, the upcoming major GHC release will have a 7.0.x
> version number, not 6.14.x as previously planned.  Most of Debian's
> Haskell packages have "ghc6" included in their names.  Looks like it's
> time to either change that number to a seven or just drop it.
>
> Either option would require sourceful uploads of all the Haskell
> packages.  Not necessarily right away, since we could get away with
> having packages use "ghc" names while providing the package name with
> "ghc6" in it and have the transition proceed in a piecemeal fashion.

Given almost all packages are maintained by the DHG, a full round of
sourceful uploads should be doable. But without the Provides on the old
name, all Haskell programs would FTBFS, which would be not so nice... so
yes, the Provides should be added.

Marco, you recently worked on the -dev name consolidation, and thus know
about clean package renames. What modifications should be done to rename
the packages now? These should probably be implemented in
haskell-devscripts.

> I think that renaming everything to use plain "ghc" is the right thing
> to do.  I don't see much need for maintaining both 6.12.x and 7.x
> branches.  We still need to build everything between every minor
> release so dragging that major version number in package names doesn't
> help any, as it is.

Agreed

> I'm guessing that 7.0.1 will be the next GHC version packaged for
> Debian.

Speaking of sourceful uploads: Should we start building -dyn packages?
At least people building local binaries would probably welcome that (as
already expressed on this list).

If yes, should we use them in Haskell programs (xmonad, hlint, etc.)?
Pro: Smaller packages/binaries and shared code. Con: Binaries will have
to be binNMUed upon new uploads as well.