Re: Ubuntu versions vs Debian versions?

Joachim Breitner wrote:

> What package (versions) are exactly lacking in an Ubuntu release, and
> for what use case?

The thing I ran into on Ubuntu (at work) in the last couple of
days is that both haskell-xml and haskell-tagsoup are at versions
that do not support ByteStrings. In both the xml and tagsoup
examples, I started from a base of code that I had written
recently on Debian testing and found it didn't work on Ubuntu.

> Such need could be served by setting up a PPA repository, assuming there
> would be volunteers to maintain them, right? (I’m not saying that it is
> Iain tasks to set that up or anything like that!)

I don't use haskell on Ubuntu that often, but yes, a person or group
providing a PPA for haskell stiff would be really useful. The DHG
now has some excellent infrasructure that should make managing the
PPA much easier.

> I hope we can move this discussion back onto a constructive path before
> people are too upset.

Me too. I don't want to bitch about things, I want to find solutions.
The first step towards a solution is to admit that a problem exists.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
http://www.mega-nerd.com/