Re: Ubuntu versions vs Debian versions?

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 15:57 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Was someone doing a comparison between versions of haskell packages
> on Ubuntu vs Debian?

My completely unscientific comparison was based on my students'
grievances during the last three-month course on Advanced Functional
Programming. Out of sixteen students working with Haskell, only two had
no problems at all with libraries: those using Squeeze/Sid. The rest
were using Ubuntu's latest and latest-1 and they were forced to cabal
install either missing or outdated libraries.

There was also a perceived difference both in size/speed of compilation
on identical machines while using Ubuntu's ghc (felt slower, produced
bigger executables) vs. Debian's.

I don't follow Ubuntu and don't have any interest in doing so, but most
of my students tend to use it and always come up asking why doesn't
$someDevLibrary work/install on Ubuntu, and it appears to me that
development packages aren't enough nor as up to date as Debian's. And
this has been a consistent scenario for the past year and a half or so,
not only with Haskell, but also Perl and Ruby (students know better than
to ask me for advice on Python or Java :-).
--
Ernesto Hernández-Novich - @iamemhn - Unix: Live free or die!
Geek by nature, Linux by choice, Debian of course.