Re: Bluetile package

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 08.06.2010, 00:22 +0200 schrieb Jan Vornberger:
> Joachim mentioned these warnings:
>   W: bluetile: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/bluetiledock
>   W: bluetile: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/bluetilegreet
>   W: bluetile: binary-without-manpage usr/bin/bluetilemockwin
> and recommended to look into the option of installing these binaries in
> libexecdir instead - for intern/private executables.
>
> That seems indeed a good fit. Unfortunately I can't seem to find an easy
> way to get Cabal to install them there. This thread
>   http://www.archivum.info/libraries@haskell.org/2008-03/00100/Re:-building-a-helper-binary-with-cabal.html
> seems to suggest that Cabal actually has no support for private
> binaries. I don't know if this is still true.
>
> Do I really have to write a custom Setup.hs to make this happen? If so,
> is there maybe somewhere a simple package that I can look at? I have
> little experience with Cabal.

A custon Setup.hs is probably overkill. We could move the binaries upon
package generation, but then we’d need a configure flag to tell bluetile
where to look for them (or just patch the source to look in libexec
instead of bindir).

> One other thing: I was hoping I could denote the fact that this is a
> backport somewhere in the version number. I would have prefered
> something like 0.4bp, but Cabal only allowed me to go for 0.4-bp. But
> even then it creates packages that omit the "-bp" in the archive name.
> From reading the documentation, it seems Cabal pretty much expects only
> numbers to be used in the version string. So I guess I will drop the
> "-bp" in order not to confuse Cabal too much. Unless someone can suggest
> an alternative to me?

This is not a problem for Debian, we have our own version number anyways
(0.4~bp, which sorts before 0.4). I don’t have a good idea for the cabal
package, maybe the others have.