Re: [Pkg-haskell-commits] darcs: haskell-json: New version 0.4.4.

Hi Erik.

Excerpts from Erik de Castro Lopo's message of Sex Mai 21 23:23:43 -0300 2010:
> Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:
>
> > > +Document: libghc6-json-doc
> > > +Title: Manual for Haskell JSON library.
> > > +Abstract: JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) is a lightweight data-interchange
> > > + format. It is easy for humans to read and write. It is easy for machines to
> > > + parse and generate. It is based on a subset of the JavaScript Programming
> > > + Language, Standard ECMA-262 3rd Edition - December 1999.
> > > +Section: Programming
> > > +
> > > +Format: HTML
> > > +Index: /usr/share/doc/libghc6-json-doc/html/doc-index.html
> > > +Files: /usr/share/doc/libghc6-json-doc/html/*.html
> > > + /usr/share/doc/libghc6-json-doc/html/src/*.html
> >
> > Please don't.  There's no need to have a doc-base entry for each haskell
> > library, since ghc6-doc already has one entry, and it links to them.
(...)
> If someone can give me a good explanation of why we don't want doc-base
> registration, I'll raise the bug and follow it through.

I don't know if you're going to consider this a good explanantion, but these
points came to my mind:

* It's not needed to have a doc-base entry for every haskell library, since
  ghc6 library documentation links to them, and if there should be an entry in
  doc-base for haskell libraries, it should be in ghc6.

* We don't want to fill doc-base with a lot of haskell related entries:

$ ls /usr/share/doc-base/ | wc -l
89

In my whole system I have 89 doc-base entries.  If I had a lot of installed
haskell libraries, all of them with a doc-base entry, I'd easily have more
doc-base entries for haskell libraries than for all other stuff.  The same goes
for perl, python and C.  Libraries should not polute doc-base.

* If this is going to be done for all haskell packages, it should be done in
haskell-devscripts, and not on a per package basis.

This is why I don't use doc-base on my package.  I don't like to see it in
another packages because it's good to have a strong group policy, and packages
following a standard, so that it's easy to work with all of them after you
learn the structure of one of them.

What do you think about these points?

Greetings.
(...)