building lkshm files

Hi Jürgen,

I’m still planning to get Leksah into Debian, but there are more open
questions.

If I recall correctly, Leksah will download the sources from Hackage and
a .lkshm file from leksah.org for all registered haskell packages it
finds, right? Now, for Debian, this is somewhat undesirable: We want the
distribution to be self-contained, so if you take a DVD with all of
Debian on an island, it should be possible to use the tools.

The logical consequence would be to ship .lkshm files in the
libghc6-foo-dev package, if this is possible. Therefore the questions:
 * Is the .lkshm file enough, or does Leksah really need the sources?
 * How do .lkshm and .haddock files differ? Any chance that leksah will
   use the .haddock files in the future?
 * What information exactly do these .lkshm files contain.
 * How can I build a .lkshm file for a library that I’m currentl
   building.
 * Are the .lkshm file architecture independent.
 * Have you talked to the Cabal people about adding a "./Setup leksah"
   command, similar to "./Setup haddock"? This would probably help with
   packages that use pre-processors and such.

At least for the libraries not shipped with ghc6, and given a tool
comparable to haddock that builds these files, it should be possible to
bundle these files in the binary package.

For the packages in ghc6, building them there would add another haskell
build dependency to ghc6, making bootstrapping harder. We’ll have to
think about that.

PS: Please keep the d-haskell list in the CC field.