Re: OT: need help with library versioning conflicts (on BSD)

Hi David,

in Debian, the ghc6 only ships the packages that are required to use it,
e.g. those that are listed as core packages in the platform file. Note
that these do not include network, and are actually commented in
http://code.haskell.org/haskell-platform/haskell-platform.cabal

Packages like network are packaged separately, based on the version in
hackage.

Besides that, we don’t follow the platform if we have a good reason to
diverge, e.g. important bug fixes in newer version, programs that depend
on newer versions etc. So our haskell-platform meta-package does not
depend on specific versions of the libraries.

In a few cases (QuickCheck, parsec, mmap) we ship packages for more than
one version of a hackage package, but this is not a problem so far.

I guess you should look into bundling only the real core libraries in
the compiler package and building the rest separately.