Re: [Pkg-haskell-commits] darcs: haskell-unixutils: debian/control: Long description format fixes.

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 28.03.2010, 10:41 -0300 schrieb Marco Túlio Gontijo e
Silva:
> Excerpts from erikd's message of Dom Mar 28 02:56:12 -0300 2010:
> (...)
> >  haskell-unixutils (1.22-2) unstable; urgency=low
> >
> >    [ Erik de Castro Lopo ]
> >    * debian/control
> >      - Maintainer is Debian Haskell Group.
> > -    - Add mysself to uplaoders.
> > +    - Add myself to uploaders.
>
> It's not a good idea to correct old changelog entries, of released versions.
> It's better to just live the mistake there, maybe correcting in a newer
> changelog entry, which is not the case here.

just to demonstrate that sometimes, different opinions are in Debian:
I’ve seen people fix typos in changelogs, and personally, I don’t see
whats wrong with it.

The policy does not state anything specific, but has a footnote with an
suggestion:
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/footnotes.html#f14
„Mistakes in changelogs are usually best rectified by making a new
changelog entry rather than "rewriting history" by editing old changelog
entries.“

I interpret that that in case of

foo (0.2) unstable; urgency=low

  * Really add patch for world domination

-- me  later

foo (0.1) unstable; urgency=low

  * Add patch for world domination

-- me earlier

one should not change the earlier, wrong statement semantically. But
fixing typos is not a semantic change, and therefore, I’d say its ok.

A quick Google search did not turn up any other opinions or discussions.