Re: Support for dynamic libraries

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 16.03.2010, 11:31 -0400 schrieb Tyson Whitehead:
> On March 16, 2010 06:00:23 Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > What benefits would we get from dynamic libraries, besides smaller
> > binaries?
>
> 1 - Plugins for other programs.

> 2 - Smaller memory footprint

> PS:  Personally, I think smaller binaries are a plus too on the road to world
> domination.  While it is true that disks are a lot bigger now, any system that
> has run long enough still becomes chronically short, and, given no other
> reason to choose between two programs, people will likely take the smaller.

These are good reasons, but, from a Debian packager’s point of view, the
pain arising from having our program packages depend on the library
packages is too much.

We can consider though to add -dyn packages as a service for users who
want to locally compile dynamically linked program – just like we
provide the -prof packages at the moment.

Or even include the -dyn library in the regular -dev library.

But on the other hand: How many users are there that want to do that
that don’t have to compile the library locally anyways (because they
need other versions, other flags etc.)?

At any rate I’d like to postpone a possible introduction of -dyn
packages till after squeeze is released. It’s too early to put that into
squeeze, and we want the package in unstable to be releaseable.