Re: My patches to ghc6-6.12.1-9

Clifford Beshers <clifford.beshers@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>wrote:
>
>> > and restoring the quilt patching code.
>>

>> The quilt code should be unnecessary using the 3.0 (quilt) source
>> format, shoudn’t it?

That's correct.  With "3.0 (quilt)" in debian/source/format, you can
remove the build-depends on quilt, and remove quilt references from
debian/rules (i.e. include .../quilt.mk, patch and unpatch deps).

Note that "debian/rules clean" won't unpatch anymore -- this might
matter if you have a get-orig-source that relies on modifying the
working tree.

> We were unaware of the new source format.  In reading it, I'm not
> clear if it supports downstream patching.  That is, it would be nice
> if we could add a second directory of quilt patches in a -component
> tar ball and have them applied after Debian's quilt patches. I'll keep
> wading, but if anyone has a pointer, I'd appreciate it.

That won't work.  You'd have to put them in debian/patches/ AND append
to debian/patches/series.  That's also the case for raw quilt or dpatch
patch systems, though it isn't for the CDBS "simple patchsys", which has
no index file.  I suppose you were previously just appending to the
.diff.gz?

I guess if I didn't want to bother extracting the entire thing, I could
do something like this (untested, from first principles):

  let f=foo_1.0-1.debian      # the Debianization diff
  let d=my-patches            # a dir of your downstream .diff files
  unxz $f.tar.xz
  tar -xf $f.tar --xform s,debian/patches,$d, debian/patches/series
  cd $d
  printf %s\\n *.diff >>series
  cd ..
  tar -rf $f.tar --xform s,$d,debian/patches, $d/*.diff $d/series
  xz -9e $f.tar