Re: No ghc-pkg unregister call on upgrade?

Hi,

Am Montag, den 21.09.2009, 12:51 -0700 schrieb David Fox:
> When I upgrade to a newer version of a package, the old package is not
> getting unregistered by ghc-pkg.  I believe this is because ghc-pkg
> update does not actually unregister the old package, and the ghc-pkg
> unregister call in the prerm script is not called during an upgrade,
> only during a remove.  But I could be mistaken on these details.  My
> question is, does anyone else see the "ghosts" of packages that have
> been upgraded in the output of ghc-pkg list?  Does ghc-pkg check say
> you have broken packages?  This will only happen if you have upgraded
> a package to a newer version on your system.  I believe network has
> been upgraded, along with parallel, cpphs, magic, and time.

I’ve noticed it as well. It does not seem to cause any harm, but it
should be fixed in haskell-devscripts before ghc-6.12 (when users will
start over with a clean package registry).

Kaol once thought about registering packages based on triggers, similar
to how the documentation is registered at the moment. I very much like
this idea, as it would move complexity away from the (many) library
packages, as it would get rid of maintainer scripts! Kaol, is this still
your plan for ghc-6.12?

If not, we need to fix haskell-devscripts. Marco, you have been quiet
for a while. But could you have a look at that issue?

Thanks,