Re: haskell-debian vs. newest HaXml

Hello,

On 11 Sep 2009, at 14:11, John Goerzen wrote:

But the point is: we're here to make life easy for users, so
let's give them the HaXml 1.13 through squeeze and zap it after that.

I may be a bit late to the discussion, but I'm wondering if anything we have in Debian requires the new HaXml? This should IMO be our concern; as library maintainers we have a responsibility for our rdepends and should endeavour to minimise the number of breaking changes that we do. If a new, API incompatible, release of a library comes out then we need to work out a transition plan with the rdepends if we want to include it in Debian. Essentially I think that we primarily have libraries included as a service to applications and other libraries which depend on them and this should be the main concern we have as maintainers. I do realise that the Haskell situation is a lot different to (say) C; that we have a lot of end users who write programs using the packaged libraries and so may include them in Debian without a specific application consumer. But in the cases where there are consumers, we should be careful what we do.

So I would recommend that we roll back until the new series is declared stable and rdepends start migrating to the new API. I also hope that upstream can make this situation more manifest on their hackage page - having `cabal install haxml' install an unstable version is surely an undesirable situation.

Regards,
Iain