Re: haskell-debian vs. newest HaXml

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.09.2009, 13:23 -0500 schrieb John Goerzen:
>> Jeremy Shaw wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I can update Debian.Report to build against the newer HaXml now that
>>> it is available in sid.
>> And this is highly annoying.  The stable HaXml (1.13) is now NOT
>> available in sid.  So that means that we can't build any software that
>> uses the stable HaXml.
>>
>> I have no problem with offering the unstable HaXml in Debian, but only
>> if the stable HaXml is still here!
>>
>> This has broken a great number of my programs, both private and public.
>
> I was not aware that 1.19.7 is not a stable version. The hackage page
> does not indicate that, and the fact that the homepage only lists 1.13
> can also just mean that it’s not updated with each release (as it
> happens with other projects as well).

That's a long-standing problem with Hackage.

See the thread at:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/44754/focus=44767

Over at: http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/HaXml/

You'll see "The latest stable version (1.13.3) has the following
features and fixes"

And at: http://www.haskell.org/HaXml/

You'll see "Stable version: for 1.13.3 see"

> Anyways, it’s there now. How bad is the impact? Should we rollback the
> haxml version? Or can we live with it?

The API is incompatible.  We may need to have two packages.  This is
really an annoying problem at the Hackage/HaXml level and has bitten me
in the past (and again now).  As it is, hpodder is unbuildable because
it uses the stable API.

I wish the HaXml folks would get their act together and make a new
stable release soon.  The multiple APIs really stink.

-- John