Re: ∀lib: Debian(lib) >= Platform(lib)

Don Stewart <dons@galois.com> writes:

>> B) Upload a libghc6-platform-dev package to Debian, patched to refer to
>> „our“ Version numbers. Makes it easy for people to build stuff against
>> it, but things might break when „our“ Versions are not fully compatible
>> with the one promised by the official platform.
>
> I use B in Arch Linux (which now actually does match the required
> versions, but was ahead in the last release).

Another silly question: hackage's haskell-platform has VERY precise
dependency versions.  If you're changing these in the Arch
haskell-platform package, then why not simply relax the dependencies in
the upstream .cabal file?

Or: what is the benefit of having exact dependencies in hackage, if
they're don't match the versions that an Arch/Debian/whatever user will
get?