Re: ∀lib: Debian(lib) >= Platform(lib)

twb@cybersource.com.au (Trent W. Buck) writes:

>> I think it is important there be a single apt command to get
>> "Haskell".

> Why?

I think it is important to point out that the Haskell platform
metapackage is for developers, rather than users.

The Haskell platform has the benefit of:

a) providing a developer with a reasonably complete environment with
   libraries for a range of applications.
c) helping developers to select which library to use for specific
   functionality.
b) encouraging developers to stick to this set of libraries (and
   versions), minimizing the set of dependencies for a large set of
   applications, and making it more likely that a program will be
   portable between platforms.

> Similarly, if I was building a package that wasn't get apt-get
> sourceable, I would
>
>     ghc --make Setup
>     ./Setup configure

But it'd be nice if as many packages as possible would work out of the
box after installing just the Haskell platform, no?  Especially if
that was apt-gettable.

-k