Re: ∀lib: Debian(lib) >= Platform(lib)

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 18.08.2009, 11:24 +0200 schrieb Ketil Malde:
> twb@cybersource.com.au (Trent W. Buck) writes:
> >> I think it is important there be a single apt command to get
> >> "Haskell".
>
> > Why?
>
> I think it is important to point out that the Haskell platform
> metapackage is for developers, rather than users.
>
> The Haskell platform has the benefit of:
>
> a) providing a developer with a reasonably complete environment with
>    libraries for a range of applications.
> c) helping developers to select which library to use for specific
>    functionality.
> b) encouraging developers to stick to this set of libraries (and
>    versions), minimizing the set of dependencies for a large set of
>    applications, and making it more likely that a program will be
>    portable between platforms.

this is an interesting opinion. I was under the impression that the
platform was aiming for the user that wants to compile software not
provided by his distribution.

If the platform is really meant to be for developers only, then there is
no urgent need for distribution support. Application developers are very
likely to be using cabal anyways, or at least able to selectively
install the libraries from the platform via apt-get. And when it comes
to packaging applications that use the platform, we could just replace
this dependency in the cabal file by the libraries that are actually
used. (Which we probably should do in any case).