Re: ∀lib: Debian(lib) >= Platform(lib)

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 18.08.2009, 14:31 +1000 schrieb Simon Horman:
> > yes. Creating packages in Debian is far more involved than on hackage.
> > Also, having two versions of a package without good reasons (such as the
> > parsec or quickcheck cases) will likely be rejected by the ftp-masters.
> >
> > Last but not least Debian aims to make a selection for it’s users, so
> > it’s actually a service not having multiple versions of the same
> > package :-)
>
> Ok. I must miss-understand what Haskell platform is and how it works.
> I was assuming that Haskell platform is something Debian would provide
> as something users can install. That it would suck in all the relevant
> dependencies. And that there wasn't much flexibilities in those dependencies.

I don’t argue against a libghc6-platform-dev package that pulls in the
dependencies. But I want to avoid having two HTTP libraries in Debian,
because then the user who needs a HTTP library will search for one, find
two, and then have to decide which one to use.

From the three options in the original post, I was inclined to C (a
renamed platform package), but given that Arch is also doing B and it’s
a bit less confusing, I guess we can go with that. The plan would be:

 * Package haskell-platform
 * Remove the strict version dependencies from the cabal file. This way,
   when we update the dependency, we can make the platform installable
   again by a binNMU instead of a sourceful upload. The package will
   still have strict dependencies on the Debian package level.
 * Upload it :-)

Would we want to name it libghc6-platform-dev, as all the other packages
are named, or haskell-platform, as it’s more likely to be found this
way?