Re: ∀lib: Debian(lib) >= Platform(lib)

Hi,

Am Montag, den 17.08.2009, 12:12 +1000 schrieb Simon Horman:

> > > What is the long-term plan for this issue - will new instances of it be
> > > allowed to arise, or will Debian allow the platform to catch up and then
> > > not jump ahead again?
> >
> > I’m not sure if there is a consensus yet, so far not many developers
> > have commented on the issue.
> >
> > Personally, I’m happy to give the platform the chance to catch up, but
> > I’d always reserve Debian the right to jump when required for good
> > reasons (e.g. new version of library needed by newer version of a
> > program that we want, or bug in the libraries).
>
> Is there a reason that two versions of some libraries can't be
> present in the archive - one to match the platform, and one that
> is ahead of that?

yes. Creating packages in Debian is far more involved than on hackage.
Also, having two versions of a package without good reasons (such as the
parsec or quickcheck cases) will likely be rejected by the ftp-masters.

Last but not least Debian aims to make a selection for it’s users, so
it’s actually a service not having multiple versions of the same
package :-)