Re: Fw: Accepted haskell-network 2.2.1.3-1 (source all i386)

Don Stewart <dons@galois.com> writes:

>> I'm not sure how haskell-platforms strict version dependancies will
>> fit in with the way things are packaged on Debian. The cabal file
>> does not leave much latitude:
>>
>> http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/2009.2.0.1/haskell-platform.cabal
>>

> Ideally though, Debian will in time end up providing the precise
> dependencies (which will last for 6 month periods). In the short term,
> just getting the packages in is a good start.

Ideally for whom?

Consider the following hypothetical situation:

 - Debian Testing provides zlib 0.5.0.0.
 - Haskell Platform 2009.2.0.1 requires zlib 0.5.0.0.  Presumably the
   next Haskell Platform release will not appear until 2009-08.
 - In 2009-06, upstream releases zlib 0.5.0.1 to fix a security hole.

If Debian installs the security update, haskell-platform will not be
usable on sid -- at least until the Haskell Platform has a point release
(i.e. Haskell Platform 2009.2.0.2) and that release enters Debian.

Similarly, is Debian Stable expected to have an installable version of
(and old version of) haskell-platform?  If so, near to release time it
will be necessary to prevent ANY package updates migrating from unstable
to testing if they will break the current haskell-platform.

The whole design of haskell-platform seems at odds with Debian's release
management workflow to me, and I don't envy whoever ends up trying to
keep it working.