Bits about GHC

I shouldn't use autobuilders as my personal pbuilders...  At least -10
should be ok.  Use it, update your library packages.

My plan for GHC 6.10.2 and future GHC releases:

1) Build and upload the new version.

2) Send an email to debian-release with wanna-build commands
   (http://release.debian.org/wanna-build.txt) and have buildds build
   all Haskell libraries.

Many central libraries were still using haskell-utils' way of
packaging, so I couldn't have hoped to really pull that off.  Anything
that would FTBFS with a new GHC would still need to get a sourceful
upload, but it's still a very convenient thing to do.  It's nice to
get things for free.

Nobody's stepped up to maintain haskell-utils' way of packaging
haskell libraries, so it's effectively been abandoned.  Everyone
should use haskell-devscripts, now.  I didn't pay much attention to
what code ghc6 package itself had that was there to help haskell-utils
do its work, anyway.

It may take some time before ghc6 enters testing, as I expect it to
FTBFS on various arches for some time.

A few words about -doc packages.  They have links to other library
-doc packages and to ghc6-doc, but a broken link in itself isn't
fatal.  I think using Recommends: from one -doc to another is fine.
gen_contents_index is gone and you shouldn't be calling to it anymore.
What it did is done by ghc6-doc's postinst triggered, now.  I'll still
need to review it...  It's slower than it needs to be and it'd be nice
if haskell-devscripts copied haddock-interfaces and haddock-html
fields from installed-pkg-config to -doc, too.  Your -doc won't get
indexed without having the -dev in place, currently.  Meh.

I now recommend that -doc packages put their haddock docs under html/
in their own /usr/share/doc/${pkg}-doc dirs, not in ghc6-doc's.
/usr/share/ghc6-doc/haddock/ is the new recommended home for .haddock
files.  I'll make that path have ghc6-$VERSION in it starting with
6.10.2, probably.  But it's still not wrong doing what
haskell-devscripts does for your packages' docs.

About build dependencies.  It's enough to have a versioned dependency
on -dev package of the libraries that you depend on, -prof and -doc
should be in sync to that automatically.  Use (>= 1.2-3), I don't want
you restricting your packages' binNMUability.  And remember to put
those versioned dependencies if the library isn't yet in sync on all
arches, or it'll fail and will need to be given back by hand when the
dependency gets built.  Buildds don't check things like if a package
you depend on is installable at all, only your own Build-Depends
field.

I'll move package.conf to /var/lib in 6.10.2.  That sounds like a more
fitting home for it.

In case anyone's wondering, I'm not doing that "build ghc"-"build
haddock"-"build ghc again" thing.  Instead, I put haddock as a
Build-Depends-Indep for ghc6.  Simple and obvious.

I'm orphaning HAppS and haskell-hspread.  Come and take them.