Re: haskell-devscripts

Hi Marco,

Am Mittwoch, den 11.02.2009, 10:30 -0200 schrieb Marco Túlio Gontijo e
Silva:
> Em Ter, 2009-02-10 às 19:52 +0000, Joachim Breitner escreveu:
> > The issue with that is that a number of people shun cdbs, and seen to
> > prefer a debhelper based approach. On the other hand, at least kaol says
> > he will not use the current haskell-devscripts, but will continue to use
> > hlibrary.mk.
>
> Do you think we should worry about the people that don't like cdbs all
> that much?  Isn't it more important to have a standard way to package
> haskell libraries?

Well, if there is a relevant number of Cabal package maintainers that
don’t like cdbs and will not use the hlibrary.mk approach, then they
will use something else and there is no win.

Looking at
$ cat /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp2.de.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_source_Sources \
  |grep-dctrl -F Build-Depends haskell-devscripts -s Maintainer |sort \
  | uniq -c |sort -n
      1 Maintainer: Chris Lamb <chris@chris-lamb.co.uk>
      1 Maintainer: Eric Warmenhoven <warmenhoven@debian.org>
      1 Maintainer: Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot@holoscopio.com>
      2 Maintainer: Chris Lamb <lamby@debian.org>
      2 Maintainer: Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org>
      3 Maintainer: Recai Oktaş <roktas@debian.org>
     10 Maintainer: Kari Pahula <kaol@debian.org>
     19 Maintainer: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org>
     20 Maintainer: Arjan Oosting <arjan@debian.org>

I think this needs support from at least John and Arjan.

> > As a compromise, hlibrary.mk in it’s current form could be included in
> > the haskell-devscripts package, giving each maintainer the choice of
> > build system. I think we would lose the advantage of full consistency
> > here, so I’m personally not pushing for that (but not opposing it
> > either).
>
> Ok, I'll work on a version of haskell-devscripts only including these
> two perl scripts and hlibrary.mk.

That would be great, to have something to talk about. But don’t expect
that we can just NMU haskell-devscripts with that without approval by
arjan – the change would be too intrusive for an NMU.