Re: [gspreemann@gmail.com: GHC 6.12 and shared libraries]

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 06:54:09PM +0000, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 08:34:38PM +0200, Kari Pahula wrote:
> > Keeping ghc6-prof around is still worth it
> > since anyone can feel that 141MB.
>
> There's no point doing that if every other library package is going to
> depend on it.

Don't do that, then.  As I would see it, -dev packages would still
only depend on other -dev packages and ghc6.  ghc6 would suggest
ghc6-prof.

The only consequence that I see for not having ghc6-prof installed
then would be that you couldn't compile for profiling, even though
you'd have unusable profiling files for the respective libraries
eating up disk space.

IMHO that's a price worth paying for, to simplify the packaging
scheme.  With -dev packages, this is Haskell coders' disk space that
we're talking about, not regular users.  They can afford it.

But I'd still leave thinking about this for Squeeze+1.