Re: NMUs?

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 27.05.2009, 00:06 +1000 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> On the haskell side of the fence, there are still numerous packages
> which are still 6.8.2 only, even though the 6.10.1 compiler hit
> unstable months ago and the new compiler 6.10.3 has been around for
> at least a week.
>
> Does anyone else think we should try implementing a system similar to
> what the debian-ocaml-maintainers have?

A large chunk of those that are still 6.8.2 are maintained by people
who, at the moment, have little time. They did allow for NMUs, though.
The other packages are generally in good shape.

Note that the Haskell packaging is a bit in flux now (most recent
example: -doc package dependencies). I assume that once packages can
properly be auto-built with a new ghc version, the breakage will be very
short.

A team was proposed previously (I have made good experiences with the
Debian Perl Group which I once started and then left when others did the
work :-)), but general resonance was not great. I’m still in favor of
such a team. Or maybe a haskell-packaging-wide NMU acceptance agreement
for uploads that make the package installable and policy compliant
again.