Re: Doc package naming

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:52:25PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Ian Lynagh wrote:

> >> Why not just foo-doc?
> >
> > Because I don't think we should be making packages called things like
> >     x11-doc
> >     readline-doc
> >     unix-doc
> >     time-doc
>
> Right, but certainly in these cases the source package is haskell-x11
> instead of x11, right?  So haskell-x11-doc makes sense.

I meant "foo" to be the Cabal package name, not the Debian source
package name.

> The "lib" prefix still doesn't quite make sense.

Why not? They're library docs, aren't they?

It seems to be standard practice, e.g. "libgmp3-doc" for a C library and
"vim-doc" for a C program.

$ apt-cache search '.*-doc$' | uniq | wc -l
1273
$ apt-cache search '^lib.*-doc$' | uniq | wc -l
485

> >> With what?
> >
> > With the names used for packages which aren't called haskell* upstream.
>
> But why no "lib" prefix then?

It should have a lib prefix too, but you only asked about the
duplication: libhaskell-haskelldb-doc

Thanks
Ian